Monday, February 16, 2009

Turning points

I've been looking for larger studio space for some time. I'm shooting under an 8' ceiling and would really like to be at 12'. I've posted Craigslist ads off and on and recently received a reply from a well established antique shop in a local tourist based economy town close by with a very tempting offer.
They have lots of seasonal foot traffic and the opportunity for walk in business would be very high. The rent is reasonable, my commute time would be about one large coffee, the building itself and of course the antiques certainly fit into by genre'.
What has suddenly occur to me is that I'm currently shooting people for 2-4 hours. I have a wonderful opportunity to establish relationships with great people in that time. Frankly I rarely shoot people I don't feel good about being around. The product, generally prints and a disk with post production print and web files takes about a week to be readied and mailed out to the client.
My work flow would have to change a lot in order to do walk-ins. There will be little opportunity to screen people, the sessions would be much shorter, I will need to do post production quickly on the spot instead of when I felt most creative and print would need to be done right then and there rather than sent out for professional printing.
Perhaps this is all alright and the next step I need to take, purposefully putting myself under the gun a bit to be able to quickly come up with a quality product. Personally I had envisioned longer sessions of higher end work for more money, being able to really fully be at my very best for a day to one person rather than shooting for an hour and shouting out "Next!".
Desisions, decisions.

Gracie is a vintage clothing model for my excellent hair/make-up/wardrobe Godess Bobbi of Dressed to the 9's Vintage

No comments:

Post a Comment